Maui, the island home of haleakala (house of the sun), will be the prime viewing location to see the sun as it is transited by the planet Venus on June 5, 2012. Experience the Venus transit, the rarest of all planetary alignments, from noon to sunset at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, where sunny skies and a state-of-the-art Celestron high-definition 14-inch aplanic telescope – Hawaii’s only recreational HD telescope – provide an ideal combination for viewers.
Travelers can rekindle their romance on sunny Maui with the Sunshine on Sale package for a fifth night free and free daily breakfast for two. Special offerings to commemorate this once-in-a-lifetime event (it won’t happen again until 2117) include:
- Televised broadcast – The historic transit will be broadcast on a big screen by the pool, allowing prime access for guests and locals to experience the show all afternoon at no charge. The resort’s director of astronomy, Eddie Mahoney, who also leads the nightly Tour of the Stars program, will be on-hand to answer any questions.
- Group Vow Renewal – Paying homage to Venus, the goddess of love, Hyatt Maui will host a special group vow renewal ceremony to coincide with the transit. The ceremony, which will take place just before sunset, will be led by a kahu (priest) and will include the exchange of a fresh flower lei and a Champagne toast. Couples will take home a Hawaiian keepsake album.
- Dinner at Japengo – Couples who wish to end the evening with a romantic dinner at Japengo, known for its exotic flavors, fresh sushi and Pacific Rim-inspired cuisine will receive a 20% discount on all food purchases./li>
- Spa Discount – Participants in the vow renewal ceremony can feel like goddesses with a 20 percent discount off all spa and salon treatments at Spa Moana, the only oceanfront spa in Maui.
- Solar Shades – Protect your eyes and observe the transit of Venus safely with solar glasses, branded as takeaway pieces to commemorate the event.
If you and your partner are interested in celebrating your one-of-a-kind love under a memorable sky and beautiful setting (like Dallas-based couple, Gracie & Casey) , contact the Hyatt Regency team.
photo credit: Anna Kim Photography