Mother of A Bride Reflectson Passage of Proposition Two

groomsposter-LG.jpgMy eyes misted and I was filled with a lot of sadness while reading all the election return reports this morning. Even though I expected the Amendment to the Texas Constitution, which would ban any hope of same sex marriage being recognized in Texas to pass, I had hoped for a stronger opposition to the amendment. State wide it passed with 76% For and 24% Against and only slightly better in Dallas County with 66% For and 34% Against.
The good news and silver lining is that in Austin the amendment was resoundingly defeated 60% Against and only 40% For. There, the opponents own efforts rallied college students to vote against the amendment. This may well reveal the future as these young people become the core of our citizens in the future; a future where rights are not taken away from a minority of our fine citizens. That is the Texas I know and have always loved!
Sixteen percent of our citizens voted yesterday. 16%! This prompts several questions for me. How would the other 84% of Texas citizens have voted? Sixteen percent seems like a low percentage to me even though it was a bigger than usual turnout for ballots on State amendments and City proposals. Never before have I felt in my bones as I do now the importance of casting a vote. Where were the other 10 million plus Texas citizens who are registered to vote? Was this only a vote between fundamentalist Christians who strongly believe gay marriage is wrong, 10% of voters, who are estimated as identifying as gay or lesbian, and a small percentage of straight alliances who support legal rights for same sex couples?
I speculate that there is a vast majority of citizens across our country who are unaware of what is really at stake in these elections, which are limiting rights of our gay and lesbian citizens. I have many conservative friends who are not at the heartbeat of this conversation and were unaware of what was at stake yesterday. After becoming aware of what is at stake, most promised to vote against the amendment.
I vow to take this issue to this huge group of voters in the middle who most likely have not thought one way or another about it.
Let’s clean up the semantics! Even though I consider my daughter and her life partner married, they are not legally joined in any way but in my heart. I’ll concede to allow marriage be between a man and a woman only, but, for heaven’s sake, let’s allow our valuable gay and lesbian couples to have fair and equal rights across our country. Civil unions or civil marriage — whatever you want to call it. This is our first step.
Are there really Americans out there who would desire that a gay or lesbian person be unable to be with his or her partner as his or her life partner lay dying? Be unable to make medical decisions for one another? Or, be able to file income taxes together and take care of their own children?
If so, this is not my America. Is it yours?

Leave a Reply